Saturday, January 29, 2011

Not Everything has to be "new & improved"!

Let's talk about the can strainer. Simple enough. A plastic disc with holes, insert it in your tuna can, flip can over sink, squeeze strainer against tuna and get practically all of the water or oil out of the tuna. We had one which looked much like this model for oh...a couple of decades before the plastic finally broke.



Thus started the surprisingly frustrating process of FINDING a new strainer. I can't seem to find one in the kitchen gadgets section. Couldn't even find one Bed Bath & Beyond (and yes I did ask for help.) Finally happened upon one in the candy aisle (or some other bizarre, unrelated section of the grocery store.) The new strainer looks like this:



I felt like I was modernizing my kitchen, until I realized this strainer SUCKS for the one & only thing we use it for...a large can of tuna! You see those handles??? They keep me from fitting the strainer all the way in and truly draining the tuna. And I hate soggy tuna! Are you kidding me???

So back to shopping I went and picked up this nifty strainer for all of $1.50 (once again found in a bizarre location like the cereal aisle):


This bad boy is adjustable. Just twist them apart or together for smaller or larger cans. Comes complete with instructions.


I'm satisfied with my new strainer, but concerned that the bells & whistles will only make it break much sooner than my old work horse.

Something tells me I could recreate this simple-simon strainer, market it to easy-to-find locations and charge $5 ;-)



Keep it simple people!!! Not everything needs newness or improvement ;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment