Sunday, January 2, 2011

Martin Luther meets Velocity Church

Sola Gratia ~ Sola Fide ~ Sola Deo Gloria ~ Sola Christo ~ Sola Scripturo

I was raised in the Lutheran church. Pierce & I were married at Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer in Peekskill NY. I credit Trinity Lutheran Church with establishing our roots in Richmond. Both kids were baptized there and we've been members since 1995. But several months ago as a family we decided to "shop around" and see if there was something out there that re-energized all four of us.

Stop one was Velocity Church. You know...the one that meets at Short Pump Regal Theatres. I mean really, how ideal is that?! Comfortable seating, casual dress code & environment and the smell of popcorn -- they even us popcorn buckets for collection plates. Add to that energetic music from a live band and a variety of media outlets to bring us God's message! So far we've heard the band's rendition of Journey, U2, Bo Diddly and more. We've watched funny clips from Elf, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Glee. And we've even played games! All while hearing God's message as part of an enthusiastic, open-minded community.

But my big question has been: "is there one right denomination?" Velocity is non-denominational, and I definitely feel that missing link. I miss saying The Lord's Prayer in unison, the warmth of communion wine as it fills my soul (they serve juice), confession and rituals I grew up with.

I asked God about the non-denominational thing during a stroll through Good Shepherd United Methodist's prayer labyrinth one night and He replied through hymn. The music playing in the background was a hymn I'd grown up singing in the Lutheran church; we all sing the same songs to the same God.

But my journey came full-circle this morning when Velocity's lesson was on Martin Luther's Reformation. You know...Luther as in LUTHERan? And it may have been the easiest teaching of the 5 Sola's of the Protestant Reformation I'd ever heard.

Grace Alone ~ Faith Alone ~ God Alone ~ Christ Alone ~ Scripture Alone

I recently felt the "peace that passes all understanding" and asked my friend Roxanne where that came from because I remembered it as a phrase from a Lutheran passage; it was repeated this morning at Velocity, as well as God's promise of hope despite our despair. We've all enjoyed our time at Velocity and don't intend to shop elsewhere anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment