Thursday, January 13, 2011

I have faith in my destiny

There are moments in my life where it is clear my destiny is laid out for me.

My brother was three years ahead of me in school so when he was a senior in high school I was a freshman. I remember going on a college tour of University of Delaware with him. I fell in love with the campus and just knew it was where I was going to go to school. For 3+ years there was no other school for me.

And then, in my senior year, I applied to University of Delaware...and SUNY Geneseo as my "back up." I was accepted to both. I still remember the moment I made the decision to go to SUNY Geneseo. After 3 years of thinking I knew where I was going, destiny stepped in. There are many things which have happened since that I believe would not have occurred had I gone to University of Delaware.

Growing up, my family traveled with trailer in tow every summer (or so it seemed.) We pulled our trailer across country, along the coast, and everywhere in between. I think I still remember the moment we were traveling through Virginia and it occurred to me I'd end up here eventually. To me, Virginia was plush green rolling hills and felt like "home." I still get that feeling when I drive on certain parts of I-95 (yet, I chose flat old Richmond, go figure.)

Relocating to Virginia was part of "the deal" when Pierce & I got married and we literally moved here after being married for just one year based solely on my desire. We arrived with no jobs, no friends or family in the area, and a 6-month lease paid in cash. That was almost seventeen years ago. It was our destiny.

Jobs I have had, friends I have made, place I have lived, opportunities I have explored all seem to be part of a predetermined course of events. I wonder how today will play out in my destiny...

No comments:

Post a Comment