Thursday, January 6, 2011

How neatly do your pieces fit together?

Pierce & I were working on our new year's jigsaw puzzle last night and the more I got "into it", I realized that jigsaw puzzles are a lot like life, aren't they?

I was stumped by this one section that seemed like it should be so easy but no matter how many times I scanned the pieces, I couldn't see them for what they were. This went on for an hour. Sure, I'd find a piece that fit occasionally, but overall it was painstaking and stressful. But then, all of the sudden, they started fitting together easily. I started seeing the pieces for what they were, instead of what I thought they were supposed to be. Sometimes the pieces of our lives seem mismatched -- the demands of family, work, health, etc. all seem to be parts of different puzzles altogether, but eventually it all works out. Then you move on to the next puzzling section...

To me, the border pieces are our family. We might start the puzzle pulling out all the straight edges...the family we're born into including our ancestors. But there are also those pieces that are part of the overall process...the pieces we find along the way...our spouse, children, etc.

I always try to sort puzzle pieces by section -- maybe by color or background or something. Some of those sections fit together easily, others not so much, and then there are some that end up in the wrong pile...because everything fits together somehow and they're all connected in the end.

If your life were a jigsaw puzzle, what would the picture be?

No comments:

Post a Comment