Friday, June 20, 2014

Ginny, Part 16: Unexpected Thoughts

Maggie and I took our last morning ride today.

I find it amazing the way God puts unexpected thoughts into our minds. As pre-occupied as I've been the last 24 hours with all the "lasts" with the girls (last dinner, last cuddle, last ride, etc.) the thought on my mind on the way to 7-Eleven was how special Ginny Doyle was and how fortunate I was that God gave us Maggie to bring us together.

(This is just my personal perspective and could be all wrong.)

Ginny was the youngest of four children. I only know "her side" of the story, but it seems to me that people knew she had athletic talent early on.

It appears to me that the Doyle family was united in supporting Ginny in her athletic endeavors. I've heard stories of Joe & Ginny practicing tennis & basketball together. I imagine they followed Ginny to tournaments, etc. They all know women's basketball in detail and I assume that has a lot to do with Ginny's involvement in the program throughout her life.

Even as an adult, Joe & Mrs. Doyle especially continued to follow Ginny's career to the extent of staying in town for extended visits in order to see a number of her games...as a coach. They also traveled along the upper east coast for some of her games. Families support each other throughout life, but you must admit that was pretty extensive for adult children / siblings. As I've told Joe, my brother lives with me and I don't know nearly as much about him as he knew about Ginny.

University of Richmond also knew Ginny was special. Assistant coaches usually leave a program when the head coach moves on, but University of Richmond held on to Ginny through at least three head coaches.

The outpouring of support the family and we have received since her passing further shows what a special lady Ginny was.

So, I firmly believe that God brought Maggie into our lives so that I could experience and appreciate Ginny. As I've said over the past six weeks, I'd rather have known Ginny and gone through this pain than to have never known her. Ginny gave so much of herself to my family and we will never forget her. She has left an impact on each of us which we will carry on to others in her honor. Thank you God for crossing our paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment