Thursday, June 5, 2014

Ginny 7: Our Lives Became Intertwined

Did you know that Kayla's senior pictures were taken in Ginny's backyard? I am so grateful for this lasting memory.



Did you know that Ginny had no fear of a microphone? Basketball wasn't the only game she enjoyed playing. She was always up for anything, including a little RockBand on one of Colin's birthdays. We never did settle our argument about how to pronounce Rummikub.


As time went on and we spent more & more time together, our familiarity with each other's friends & families grew.


Ginny got to know my brother, mother-in-law, and parents; I knew her mother, brothers, & sister. There was even some gift exchanging going on for special occasions. Ginny's mother adopted us into her family, remembering us at the holidays and special occasions...and brought us the most amazing pretzels from Philly whenever she came to visit! My parents sent a gift for Ginny at Christmas, and even my brother scored a U of R sweatshirt this year! Mrs. Doyle & Ginny's Aunt Mary joined us for one of Kayla's birthday cookouts too! It was not uncommon for our families to ask about each of us, after asking about Maggie ;-). And Ginny's family has been amazingly welcoming during this difficult time.



The ladies who worked out of my house for Mitzi's Fashion Boutique became very friendly with Ginny, as did Colin's Godparents and their children as they were together for Colin's birthday every year. And she shared tales with me of some of her close friends. Ginny was "the place to stay" for some URWBB ladies as they were in transition. Some of them stayed at her house for an extended period and we got to meet either in the exchange of dogs or even socially. Kate Flavin & I nursed Maggie after Maggie was "fixed" and Danielle had dinner with us one night when she was staying with Ginny.

It's not uncommon for people to have friends who aren't connected in any way. You may have friends at work who know nothing about your friends from church, etc. But, Ginny & Maggie (and eventually Lexi) were part of our "story." If people asked if we had pets, they'd learn about Maggie & Ginny. If Maggie was with us on a walk, and someone stopped to admire her, they'd learn about our arrangement. All of my friends from work, church, volunteering, sports, school, Facebook, etc. seemed to have known Ginny whether they'd met her personally or not.

And so many of my friends were personally touched by her loss and I am grateful for their support and their friendship with Ginny. It was tremendously helpful to know that people understood that Ginny was so much more than a neighbor. When Ginny died and I shared my sorrow with others, so many would reply "you mean the one with the dogs?" I am so very thankful that people understood our unique relationship and the pain we experienced.
"I know you have lost a member of your family"
"based on all I've read about Ginny and what I know about your family, sharing those dogs and the rest of your lives seems perfectly natural. I know Ginny was family to you."
"I know you said Ginny was more than a neighbor to yall but I think it worked both ways!"
"Ginny was a friend/neighbor im gathering? Was she maggies owner/mom?"
"You and Ginny were both very lucky to have a neighbor that was also a great friend."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment