Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Ginny 6: The Storyteller

If you've read tributes to Ginny, you know that she was known for her story telling.

"The one thing I could always count on when I saw Ginny on the recruiting trail was a good story. " - Ginny Doyle's former Richmond teammate Amy Mallon

"A conversation that should have taken 5 minutes, turned into 45" - Julia Kaufman, assistant coach at Seton Hill

"She loved to tell stories! " - long-time Doyle friend and colleague in Delaware coach Tina Martin


I wonder how many times a neighbor would walk by and question why I was talking to Ginny's house. I'd stand in my driveway or the side yard and be looking up talking out loud, and never thought twice about it until someone would walk by. This is why I was doing it:




If Ginny saw me coming or going in the driveway and she was working upstairs in her office she would pop the window open and Maggie would come running upstairs to say hi too! I always wanted to get a better shot of this; at least I have these, as eery as they might seem now. You can't imagine how difficult it is to look at her house every day.

Ginny never missed an opportunity to say hi, talk about our days, and let me know what was coming up, be it a trip, a game, a concert, or something going on at work. Ginny was a workaholic. Even when she was home sick, she was working. But she'd always stop to talk. I didn't always have time for a long chat but I'm ever so thankful that she kept me engaged (it was a little hard to move her along in her storytelling sometimes.) I will miss the conversations through the window, over the fence, at the front door, on the porch, and in our living rooms so much.

To be honest, the day of the accident, I really expected her to be a witness and come home telling us all about what had happened. What I would give for that to have been the case!

No comments:

Post a Comment