Thursday, November 29, 2012

#5 Color

Yep, even something as simple as color makes me grateful!

I usually associate color, especially bright, vibrant, make-me-happy colors, with spring, or warm, rustic colors with fall...but as I begin to slowly put up Christmas decorations, I realize that color always makes me happy.



I just spent entirely too much time putting gel clings on my glass back door and accent windows beside my front door. I also added some colorful gel clings to my powder room mirror and large framed silhouettes of the kids in our "dining" room. I feel kind of childish doing so, but they really make me happy. I wondered why, and realized as the sun shown through and caused a colorful reflection on my arm that it's simply the color that makes me happy. I even have a long-standing vision of stained glass in the window about my front door in our 2-story foyer. I just love adding color, and really love the look of light shining through different colors.

When we moved into our house, I had no intention of painting right away as the previous owner did such a great job creating a classic, neutral color palette. It worked really well with our furniture and our style.

But recently I realized that I need bright in my house. After much debate, consultation, and even a few tears that I'd made a big mistake, we changed our family room from taupe to daffodil yellow. I LOVE IT! The room where we spend the majority of our time together and visiting with family & friends is now a bright open space made warm by comfortable furniture and decorations.

Now I've got my sights on that 2-story foyer. I want to add a splash of brightness which says "welome to our warm & open home!"

But it's not all about brightness. Another favorite Christmas decoration of mine is some oversized ornaments I bought last year to hang in my kitchen window.

 
These obviously aren't bright colors...but they go perfectly with my kitchen decor, adding festivity without clashing.
 
So I'm thankful that we live in a colorful world (but it drives me nuts to see old black & white movies colorized...go figure!) 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment