Tuesday, November 27, 2012

#3 Enablers

As a "psychologist" (in education only), the word enabler has a negative connotation. It's used to describe someone who enables another to act in a way that is not good or generally acceptable.

Merriam-Webster says that an enabler is "one that enables another to achieve an end" that doesn't sound so bad. It sounds like someone who helps another accomplish something, not necessarily something bad.

But then the definition goes on to say "especially: one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior."

Well, for today my definition of enabler ends at "one that enables another to achieve an end."

Throughout life, I have benefited from many enablers. People who saw my potential and enabled me to act on my own accord. Not in a negative way (there are definitely some of those enablers in my life too.) But I am referring to those bosses who gave me autonomy because they trusted my judgment and ability. And the family members who allowed me to become my own person because of that trust. And all of the groups where as a volunteer I have been given responsibility because of trust.

I have learned so much from these opportunities, not only things about myself and what I'm actually capable of, but also skills and resources which spill over into other areas of my life. And I hope that I have enabled others to grow and become more confident as well.

So today, instead of comparing myself to where I am versus another, I look back and thank those who enabled me to get to this point...with aspirations for further enabling.

No comments:

Post a Comment