Friday, February 18, 2011

Are you listening?

God has spoken to me. I have no doubt. And it's happened more than once.

The first time that I remember God speaking to me I was in my bedroom one night standing beside my bed in our house in Dunncroft. It was in 2000 and I believe it was in August of that year. I still remember the warmth of His touch and the comfort of His guidance. His command was clear "ask her to forgive you." I was not afraid. I was excited! I was relieved.

A very dear friend of mine was going through a traumatic event and I wasn't there for her. I could list the many reasons I wasn't able to be there physically, but they were all excuses. Because of my absence when she needed me most, our lives were drifting apart and that didn't feel right. If it were only because our families were growing, interests were changing, and time was limited, I could accept the change. But I knew in my heart that I was letting this happen and it wasn't right.

That night, God put His hand on my right shoulder and told me: "ask her to forgive you." I went to sleep knowing what had to happen first thing the next morning.

Fortunately, circumstances happened that I was able to go to her house the very next day. And just as God had told me, I simply asked for her forgiveness. No excuses for my choices. No explanations. Just an apology for not being there for her and a request that she find it in her heart to forgive me. She did.

It's funny. Our families have since grown and our time is more limited than ever. But I always felt like our lives would intertwine again. We've stayed in touch as best as possible and sure enough, our interests are becoming similar once again, and soon enough our kids will even been in the same school. God works in mysterious ways. Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment