Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How one night changed everything

In September of 2000 I was working full time, had a 9-month-old baby, and my daughter had just started kindergarten at Echo Lake Elementary School. A flyer came home from school about Girl Scout Recruitment Night. I remember walking into the school cafeteria that night and thinking "I'm going to be a part of this." The part of the Girl Scout Promise "to serve God and my country" resonated with me.

Looking back, it is amazing to see just how much my life is still impacted by my involvement as an adult Girl Scout volunteer. I haven't been directly involved in Girl Scouts in a few years now but people still associate me with the organization and scouting in general (cub, girl & boy) because of the connections I made as a leader and service unit director.

It is amazing how the relationships formed through Girl Scouts are intertwined with my life. I have worked with fellow leaders in the "outside" world, socialize with them, volunteer with other organizations, etc. People call on me for scouting advice or contacts. Sitting in the stands at Tucker football games, I am surrounded by fellow Girl Scout leaders. I am comforted with the prospect of going to Holman Middle School next year knowing I am familiar with so many Springfield Park families because of my involvement in Girl Scouts.

Unbeknownst to me when I registered my daughter for Girl Scouts so many years ago, I was planting roots that would become MY community.

No comments:

Post a Comment