Friday, July 1, 2011

Always a part of our lives: Church family growing up



Sometimes when I think back to all of the people I've spent time without throughout my life and all of the places I visited, it's sad to think that something or someone so significant at the time is no longer part of my life, yet still has a presence. Do you know what I mean?


I just came across the formal picture taken of my confirmation at The Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer in Peekskill NY. I actually still remember that day. I remember standing up to answer a question from the Pastor and suddenly getting cold feet. We'd practiced and the answers were all part of a creed we'd recited since we were toddlers, but all of the sudden the pressure was on and I got tongue tied (I eventually got the words out, passed the public test and made my confirmation.) Anyway...back to my point...


I grew up with these kids. We went to Sunday school together. We had lock-ins and retreats. We went to confirmation class together every week for two years. Yet I don't know where all but one of them are (thanks to Facebook, Flora & I are back in touch.)


I get heavy-hearted thinking that people and places so near & dear to me might be gone to me forever. I do think I can name them all: Richard & Heidi Gibson (twins), myself (in my awful long hair phase), I don't' remember the pastor's name, Flora Williams, Stacy Nigl, Tricia Fox & Eric Froelich. How'd I do Flora???

No comments:

Post a Comment